Installation Services Read more [...]
The business manufactures traditional three legged aluminium pots of various sizes. The business owner is Ms. Ester Masinga who has been operating the enterprise for over 10 years. The business is well located at the Westrich premises in Newlands West. The business sells to customers from Durban and surrounding areas and has managed to expand to clients in KZN, Eastern Cape and as far as Mozambique. The aluminium is sourced from various scrap suppliers.
There are curently 5 employees and the new job potential is 5 permanent jobs.
The enterprise has been able to create two new jobs. PPT is, on an ongoing basis, engaging the entrepreneur to further assist the enterprise with achieving its business development goal.
- PPT to provide basic business skills development training in bookkeeping, records etc.
- Sector skills training in running a foundry and the legal and regulatory environmental implications. PPT has undertaken research and now understands the following issues need to be considered:
- Operation must be licensed and municipality must reconsider the available licensing system.
- Operations need to relocate to an industrial sites: The enterprise needs to relocate and get an appropriately zoned facility or premises that are not close to a residential area (as this is regarded as a foundry).
- Use a more efficient production system by adopting the clamp kiln approach.
- Ensure a waste management is in place for slag and ash management.
- Address the key challenges regarding licensing and environmental management considerations:
- Licensing and Processing Fees: The owner is not able to meet these requirements (EIA requirements, Licensing fee – consider bands proposed and meet the license conditions (which would include local authority compulsory monitoring, checking of foundry, monitoring and inspections necessary.
- Slag management, ash disposal, emissions regarding fumes and smoke and occupational health and safety.
- The owner of the business does not use the formal banking institutions to save and invest the business finances.
- The enterprise still uses crude methods to produce the aluminium pots however the quality is exceptional.
- The business and other enterprises in the Westrich premises may be moved permanently from the current location due to roadworks.
Contact Ester Masinga:
Ester Masinga: 072 9551 012 or
Bongani Masinga: 082 6962 062